Sunday, May 19, 2013

Dia 10: Se-Sevilla Estamos in Sevilla

Hola guapos, 

Damn. Today was a great day. Where to begin?

When we woke up this morning we decided to buy tickets to a Sevilla futbol game! Can't wait for that. They play on Saturday at 10pm against Real Sociedad.

Vale, well this was my first Friday in Sevilla and I only have 1 class on Fridays and it's not until 1pm which is the bomb dot com. I decided that I should finally exercise. I ate my typical two slices of toast for breakfast and then headed out on a jog to explore the city some more. This was the coolest run ever and I hate running. The weather could not have been more perfect. There were a few clouds in the sky, it was mid 70s and a light breeze... yes it was heavenly. I was just running wherever, jamming to the music on my iphone, passing by gorgeous buildings and loving every second. 

Since Cassie and I live in the center of the city we don't have to go far to get anywhere because everything is close. There's a huge river that runs through Sevilla and I had not seen it yet because we've never had to walk that far. I made sure I ran to the river because everyone had been saying that the bridges were beautiful and on the other side of the river is where there is a street full of bars and clubs called Calle Betis. Another reason this run was great was because when I got a little tired I could just stop for a minute and take pictures of where I was. 


 (la puente de Triana)

 (some of the beauty that I enjoyed on my run)


I crossed La Puente de Triana (Triana Bridge) and ran down Calle Betis. It looked pretty guay, so I'm sure we'll be hitting that up soon! I ran down past two other bridges and then crossed over the third. Now I was all the way down near Plaza de Espana (the one I visited before on the day I got lost on my way to class). I took a ton of photos here trying to be awesomely artistic as always. Bringing my fancy camera to take more pictures is still on my list of things to do. Maybe Domingo (sunday) because the whole city basically shuts down then.

I was in Plaza de Espana for probably 20 minutes. I don't think I ever stopped smiling. It was great.







Made it back home and a whole hour had past. I was very proud of my first jog. 

I quickly showered and threw on some more casual clothes today because there was no time for beauty. I wore my "The Freshness Finder" shirt to class. Several of my friends told me they loved the shirt and wanted one!! Including MJ. Michael Davila, we gotta get working on making more shirts :) If you haven't seen this shirt then you are missing out! Check it out here http://instagram.com/p/YBe3hRSyQF/ and then follow @thefreshnessfinder on Instagram to stay up to date on everything fresh :)

Class was great because I only had 1. Our professor said that on monday we are going to go to the big fresh food market in Sevilla because its quite the sight to see. Sounds fun! I can't wait.

After class I went home and I happened to catch my family right as they were sitting down to eat lunch! Awwww yeaaaa. Almuerzo FTW. We had spanish albondigas (meatballs). I loved them!!! Yummy yummy yummy. Totally going to be learning how to make these bad boys. We had fresas for dessert again and they were incredible. Like I said, today was a great day. No tengo ninguna queja.


(albondigas...and patatas duh)

Cassie and I both chilled in the room for a while and I worked on my blog. I'm telling you, this blog is serious business. It's not just a snap of the fingers and then CAPOOYAH CAPOOYAH my post is complete (hilairous youtube reference). I'm going through these babies with fine tooth combs every time. Like popped a molly I'm sweating because I want every post to be perfect. 

I digress. In advance, sorry if you ever get lost in my references to various pop culture things or my slang or abbreviations. It's my way of life. For example, my house mom called me "la loca" today. Lolz. It's probably because she yelled down the hall "vamos a desayunar" and I sang "vamoooosssss" like I was in an opera. hahah whoops.

After Maca gave an outstanding review of this little italian heladeria, we ventured out onto the street to enjoy something sweet (oh yea, that rhymed, currently brushing my shoulder off for that one). I ordered a flavor called Colombiano which consisted of helado de cafe con canela y chocolate (coffee flavored with cinnamon and chocolate). It was divine. Then we walked around and popped into some shoe stores. 



 (helado Colombiano)


We headed home to get ready for TERRITORIOS!! Woop woop! We had a random cold front here in Sevilla so we had to wear pants, boots and peacoats because it was getting down into the low 50s tonight and the festival doesn't end till 6am so we knew we'd be out late. 

We met our friends at Plaza Nueva and then headed to our go to stop "Cien Montaditos" to have some cheap ass beer. We decided to play a game called "Don't Judge Me But...", which is basically a game where everyone goes around and tells super embarrassing stories of themselves. It was sooooo fun. We were all cracking up. 

After a couple of drinks we left and headed to the music festival. Well apparently the festival was super far away because we walked for like over 30 minutes. Katheryn (la perdida) was our navigator and everyone was giving her a hard time saying how we were crazy to let her be our guide. However, props to her: we never got lost. We just felt lost because it was taking forever haha. 


 (Enjoying a drink before Territorios)

 (crossing the bridge at night)


When we got within a quarter mile of the festival we started seeing tons of young people drinking on the streets and broken glass bottles. It was mayhem, but a good kind of mayhem because all we had heard about spaniards is that "they never are publicly drunk, everyone frowns on public drunkenness" y blah blah blah como "Carlos nunca bebe" FALSO! Todo es FALSO! And I knew it all along. How in the world can someone say that young people in any country aren't getting drunk in public? It's a right of passage. 

I was walking with 9 of my friends: 8 girls and 1 boy. We ended up meeting this big group of spaniards as we were walking towards the festivals. There were some pretty guapo ones in the group. I asked one what his name was and he told me "Alex" but I know that Alex is not a spanish name so I said "Alejandro?" and they laughed and started singing Lady GaGa's song Alejandro. Needless to say, I knew they were going to be fun. 


 (People pregaming in the streets outside Territorios)

 (its blurry, sorry, but everyone was in it so I figured it was worth posting. all those boys are spaniards)

 (better clarity, but less people)

 (the festival was next to this amazing castle...NBD)



Inside, the atmosphere was electric! There were sooo many people, it was awesome. There were 3 main stages and one smaller stage. We were mainly on the hunt for EDM. We first headed to the back stage where a band called El Canijo de Jerez was performing. They were good. It was funny to hear a folk/rock spanish band though. We decided to go back to the other stages in hopes of finding more of our style of music. However, en route, our group got split into 2. This was a minor disaster because people were EVERYWHERE! Literally everywhere. So now we are looking around trying to find our other half and its nearly impossible. Thankfully we had an international cell phone and were able to call one of the girls in the other group and we found them. After that mishap, we decided to split into smaller groups based on where in Sevilla we lived that way you were at least always with the people you planned on catching a cab home with. This worked out much better. Now for one of my favorite parts:
We went to one of the main stages and here we found quite the gem: a spanish rapper. It was both hilarious and entertaining at the same time. We are so used to listening to thugs rap that when it was a not so thug spanish guy it sounded hilarious to us, but we also loved it. One of the best parts was when he said "Si te gusta fiestar, que dices?" and the whole crowd would yell back "Vamos!" (basically "I say let's, you say party", "let's" "party!" "let's" "party!"). Another time he said "Se-Sevilla, estamos en Sevilla" and then he'd hold his mic to the crowd and we'd all repeat it. It was super mega guay, which is why I made that this post's title. He rapped pretty despacio so we could understand what he was saying and we were dying at how silly the lyrics sounded. Speaking of lyrics, the rappers name was Lirico.

 (LIRICO LIRICO LIRICO!!)



We then went to a different stage where a band called Pony Bravo was playing. They were a smooth rock band. Totally different from the lyrical geniusness that was Lirico. They had a song called "Noche de Setas" (Night of Shrooms) that we liked because we knew the word setas jaja. Another one was called "Turista ven a Sevilla" (Tourists come to sevilla) and in this one the chorus was "turista te queremos, tu traes el dinero" (we love tourists, you bring the money) so naturally we enjoyed that song as well. 

(pony bravo)

At a different stage we listened to a DJ/singer called "Sir Wilson". It was a spanish man, singing reggae songs with a jamaican accent in spanish. It sounds like the weirdest thing ever, which it was, but it was also the most awesome thing ever. I loved it. I'm currently listening to his music as I type this. Dad, Youtube "Sir Wilson Chatty Chatty" you're gunna love it. We hung out here for a while mesmerized by how he turned on a jamaican accent when he sang but when he spoke to the crowd he had a spanish accent. 

At this time, we are freezing our asses off because its like 48 degrees outside and super windy but we were determined to stay for Fatboy Slim's set which wasn't till 245am. After killing more time at different stages, it was finally time! We decided to go up to the front of the stage to keep warm because we'd be surrounded by people. When we were waiting for him to come on we met this guy named David who spoke spanish and english perfectly. It was creepy. He had a New York accent when he spoke in English because he lived in Brooklyn for a year, but he's born and raised in Sevilla. He decided to teach us a very slang phrase that only Sevillians say which was "hillo cabeza su hermano". Apparently this is a way to say "hey what's up" but its super super slang. I think it's like if I taught someone who barely knows English how to say something like "whaddup betches" jaajajaj. 

Finally, Fatboy Slim starts. It was kinda cool. I feel like I'm some EDM snob or something because I saw the best DJ's in the whole world at ULTRA and honestly I wasn't super impressed by Fatboy Slim. Everyone else was going nuts and reminder we are at the front packed like sardines. People start moshing. It was no bueno. We tried to withstand it but then they started making these holes within the crowd waiting for the bass to drop and then everyone would storm into the hole and lose their minds smashing into each other. I'm not about that life. After 15 minutes of being thrown around like a rag doll, we'd had enough and got out of the crowd and decided it was time to head home. 

Hailed a cab and called it a night.

Overall, quite the epic day!

Hasta luego,
Raquel

6 comments:

  1. #freshnessfound in Sevilla! Thanks for the shout out Ramon! Keep on keeping on! Work hard, party harder! Dale! I mean Vale! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog as usual. Listened to a couple toons by Sr Wilson. Pretty cool, a Spanish guy doing reggae. It's definitely different because he looks like a nice guy and most reggae guys from Jamaica are bad asses. It was good Facetiming with you today. Our Melbo lives are pretty mundane compared to Sevilla. Mulched in the rain today, that was my hi-lite. Hoping grandma visits this weekend. Had a nice visit with Mark and Ann at Julie and Mike's house. There house is in super shape. Keep up the great blog, love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. They are badasses indeed. Miss you, love you!

      Delete
  3. Rachel, I love reading your blog. You make everything so interesting!! That was one really late concert! Glad you had fun! xoxo

    ReplyDelete